Join us and explore alternative voting systems that could be used in Nova Scotia.
Better Choices is a discussion paper that models how five different voting systems could work in Nova Scotia. The paper is meant to support a series of public engagement events where we're inviting Nova Scotians to help us identify the best voting system for the province.Here's what's in the paper:
Here's what's in the paper:
- Plain language explanations of each voting system, along with alternate electoral district maps and ballot illustrations for five voting systems including: first-past-the-post, the alternative vote, and three proportional representation systems.
- An evidence-based review of how each system performs on a variety of measures including: voter participation, women’s representation, and government effectiveness, and more.
Read the paper here: Better choices: voting system alternatives for Nova Scotia
Let's talk about it:
Sign up for a community event in your area here:
- Halifax: April 28th, 6:00-8:00pm, Central Library; BMO Community Room (RSVP)
- Truro: May 2nd, 6:00-8:00pm, NSCC Truro Campus, Salon C (RSVP)
- Dartmouth: May 5th, 6:00-8:00pm, Alderney Gate Library, Helen Creighton Room (RSVP)
- Sydney: May 8th, 1:00-3:00pm, New Dawn Centre for Social Enterprise (RSVP)
- South Shore: May 12th, 6:00-8:00pm, Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre (RSVP)
- North Shore: May 26th, 6:00-8:00pm, Roach Hall (Hills of Annand) (RSVP)
- Antigonish: June 29th, 6:00-8:30pm, People's Place Library (RSVP)
- Halifax (Hosted by Engage NS): July 5th, 9:00-11:30am, McInnes Cooper, Purdy's Wharf (RSVP)
- Halifax: September 20th, 6:00-8:30pm, Dalhousie University, Mona Campbell, Room 2107 (RSVP)
Don't see your community listed?
We're interested in holding engagement sessions in more communities, but we know we need local volunteers to make these kinds of events a success. Let us know if you're interested in organizing an event in your community.